"Light the night with your dreams."
|× 8 × 2 × 1|
up to +7/min (only with )
The Night Light (not to be confused with Maxwell's Light) is a Magic Structure in Don't Starve. It requires a Prestihatitator to prototype and costs 8 Gold Nuggets, 2 Nightmare Fuel, and 1 Red Gem to craft.
The Night Light provides light, similar to a Campfire, but can only be fueled using Nightmare Fuel. One Nightmare Fuel provides light for 175 seconds. The Night Light's maximum light output requires 3 Nightmare Fuel. It does not provide warmth, so it will not prevent Freezing and does not cause Overheating. Once placed, the Night Light cannot be moved (only destroyed/deconstructed).
Standing next to an active Night Light lowers the player's Sanity by 3 per minute (except for Willow, who gains up to +7/min). Being near the Night Light at dusk or night increases the total Sanity drain to 8 points per minute. The Sanity drain can be avoided by standing some distance away.
In the Reign of Giants DLC, when a Night Light begins to smolder, it will not burst into flames, but instead, lights up as if it were fueled. Also, Night Lights can be extinguished by an Ice Flingomatic, Luxury Fan, or Ice.
- The Night Light was added in the Insanity! update.
- The Night Light's ghastly flames can still be affected by Night Hands.
- The gem on the Night Light has five corners, however, the red gem only has four.
- The Night Light used to share its model with Maxwell's Light in the older versions of Don't Starve.
- It can be lit via the Fire Staff.
The steady crackle of the Night Light.