"A handful of gunpowder."
|× 1 × 1 × 1|
Stacks up to
Gunpowder is a Science item and explosive Weapon. It requires 1 Rotten Egg, 1 Charcoal, and 1 Nitre to craft and an Alchemy Engine to prototype. Rotten eggs can be produced manually by leaving Eggs on the ground, or they can be found in Pengull nests when Winter ends. Charcoal can be obtained by burning trees. Nitre is dropped from mining boulders, or by digging up Moleworm burrows in the Reign of Giants DLC.
When placed on the ground and lit on fire, Gunpowder will explode after 3–6 seconds, destroying objects and dealing massive damage in a small radius (less than one Wall unit, or 1/4th of a Turf unit.). It deals 200 damage per charge and can be exploded in stacks, which is more than enough to instantly kill an unarmored character at full health (with the exception of Wolfgang, an upgraded WX-78, or Wigfrid). This damage is not affected by a Character's damage multipliers.
Any loot dropped by Mobs killed with Gunpowder will turn to Ashes or the cooked version of their respective Meat (Cooked Morsel, Fried Egg, etc.), except for loot dropped from the boss monster Dragonfly in Reign of Giants DLC.
In Don't Starve Together, bosses gain temporary damage resistance against cascading gunpowder explosions. Upon taking damage from Gunpowder (this does not apply to other explosives) a boss will gain total immunity to explosives. This immunity decreases quickly and will disappear after about 5 seconds. While a full stack of 40 Gunpowder will still do its full 8000 damage, two stacks of 40 Gunpowder set off at the same time will still only do 8000 damage. Allowing one stack of gunpowder to light from the smoldering effect caused by another stack of Gunpowder provides enough time for the immunity to wear off.
- Gunpowder was added in the A Little Rain Must Fall update.
- Gunpowder explosions can cause structures to drop their resource, but not if they are on fire.
- Gunpowder explosions have the same lighting effect as a Lightning strike.
- In earlier versions of the game, Gunpowder explosions in Caves could cause Earthquakes.
- Real-life black gunpowder is made by combining charcoal (carbon), nitre (potassium nitrate), and sulfur (a common sulfur compound, hydrogen sulfide, is known for smelling like rotten eggs).
- Gunpowder can be set off by Moleworms.
Gunpowder exploding after being lit with a Fire Staff.